Field Notes Memo Book - Kraft 3 Pack - Graph
The original Field Notes memo book. When Aaron Draplin made the very first Field Notes by hand - as a holiday gift for friends - they looked pretty much like these notebooks. The heart of their product line and a true original.
A 3 Pack of 48-page notebooks with the original graph paper pages. Each Original Kraft memo book measures 3-1/2" wide by 5-1/2" tall and is bound by a rugged three-staple saddle-stitch process that won't fail under heavy usage.
On to the details:
- Proudly printed by the good people of Service Graphics, Inc., Oakbrook Terrace, Ill
- Cover: French Dur-O-Tone 80#C "Packing Brown Wrap," with a thick, brute force, 1-colour application of "Dachshund Nose" black soy-based Toyo ink
- Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T "Bright White," with a fine, 1-colour application of "Double Knee Duck Canvas" light brown soy-based Toyo ink
- Cover printed on a Mitsubishi Diamond Series 40" 6-colour printing press.
- Innards printed on a Miller TP104 28" × 40" 2-colour printing press
- Bound by a Heidelberg ST350 "Stitchmaster" 8-pocket saddle stitcher, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the "Founding Fathers of the Staple."
- Corners precisely rounded to 3/9" (9.5mm) by a CRC round-corner machine
- Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm)
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm x 140mm)
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials
- All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
PROVENANCE AND ETHICS
“I’m not writing it down to remember it later, I’m writing it down to remember it now.”
Inspired by the vanishing sub-genre of agricultural memo books, ornate pocket ledgers, and the simple, unassuming beauty of a well-crafted grocery list, the Draplin Design Company of Portland and Coudal Partners, a Chicago creative firm, have created Field Notes Brand, a collection of smartly-designed, vintage-styled pocket notebooks, calendars, and various office accoutrements.
From the very beginning, every Field Notes paper product has been manufactured in the U.S.A. From the paper, sourced from some of the finest mills in the Midwest, to even the inks used, the production of Field Notes has never required travel on a cargo ship or plane.